Saturday, May 21, 2011

TKAM: Journal #5 Chapters 16-24 Perspective of Jem

Dear diary,

      The whole town of Maycomb, people i'd never even seen before scurried past my house today, to see the trial of Tom Robinson. It was odd seeing a crowd of people who looked about ready for a carnival make their way to a trial that could possibly take away a mans life. Atticus had specifically told us to stay home before he left. But, how on earth could he expect us to stay home when the whole town got to watch, especially since it was our father defending Tom. Scout and I stealthily snuck out,  we stopped to get Dill on our way to the court. We could feel the anticipation filling the air, as we quickly shuffled down the side walk. People began filling the court room, but I decided it'd be best to go in last to avoid the apprehension that Atticus would catch us disobeying his orders. The room was nearly full so we joined Mr. Dolphus in being the only white people in the black section of the court room. We gladly sat with Reverend Skyes.

      The witnesses were called to the stand one by one. Atticus did a great job making the point that Bob Ewell is left handed and Mayella Ewell was struck to the right side of the face. It could not have possibly been Tom, his left arm is useless and my father made that very clear to everyone in that court room. I felt so proud of Atticus. He may not play football or go hunting like other dads, but that man is a brilliant lawyer and a good person. He was clearly working as hard as he possibly could to prove his client innocent, and I didn't see how any jury, black, white, rich, or poor could think to convict Tom Robinson for a crime he so obviously did not commit.  Atticus almost had Mayella Ewell admit that her father beats her, but the way Bob looked at her with so much intimidation reminded her what would happen later if she made him out to the bad person he is. Even though she didn't admit it with her words, I thought it was pretty obvious the whole story she and her father stated under oath was a lie. The story changed slightly each time it was told and Atticus made that clear to the jury.

       When Tom Robinson told the jury and all of maycomb the true events that took place, I knew he was telling the complete truth. He was so sure of each word that left his mouth and stuck to everything he said. Tom is a good man, purely kind he would never even consider touching a woman the way Mayella Ewell accused him of doing so. The trial sustained my attention the whole day, I saw it extremely improbable  that the jury would even come close to convicting Tom. I know trials between a white and a black man almost always turn out on the side of the white man, but I thought this was different. I just could not see any human being in this world putting a kind and innocent man like Tom to death for a crime there was no way he committed. I was wrong, when it was announced that Tom Robinson was guilty of raping Mayella Ewell, every speck of hope I saw in the world disappeared. I felt ashamed to live among such ignorant and prejudice people. The only thing that made me feel a little better was knowing that my father, Atticus Finch is not one of those people and he has raised Scout and I not to be one of them either.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on your final blog post!!! I loved how you incorporated your vocabulary, it really fits in your blog post!! However, at times you forgot you were writing in perspective so you kind of sounded like you were summarizing parts in the chapters. I also enjoyed reading the thoughts he had while he was in the court room, hearing both sides of the story. Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good blog post ! i think you should maybe put the perspective that your writing in at the top.. it isent clear as to whos perspective it is in at first. but otherwise i loved reading all your blog post and you did extreamly well on every on of them (:

    ReplyDelete