Sunday, May 8, 2011

TKAM: Journal #3 Chapters 9-12 Perspective of Atticus



Dear Diary,
           
      I am worried about Scout, she gets so worked up about what other people say, it is peril for her self esteem. I don’t know how she will survive this next year. She already got into a fight with Cecil Jacobs , because he said I defend “niggers.” I tried explaining to her that this statement was indeed accurate. I told her about the man Tom Robinson whom I am defending in court, I explained to her that the things people say only become insults when we let them get to us, but is was as if I was inaudible. I feel bad for putting Jem and her through all of this, but I honestly think it’s a good life lesson for the two of them, especially Scout. That girl needs to learn how to stay strong and not let other people get her down. I think Christmas with the family will be nice break for us.
           
      Christmas was very nice, it was great to see the family. Things can get a little lonely when I am at home without contemporaries, at least I have Cal. Scout didn’t have as great a time as I had hoped though. It was actually pretty bad, she punched her cousin Francis square in the mouth. I was perplexed. Her fowl language was embarrassing enough; Scout contradicts morals in every way possible . Just when you think things are bad with her, somehow they get worse. She didn’t tell me until now that she punched the poor boy, because he called me a “nigger lover.” She didn’t even know what the term meant, yet she almost killed him because of it. Dear lord what on earth am I going to do about this child!
                                                             
      Oh boy, I knew Scout was trouble, but I thought Jem was a different story.  The kids have been telling me about how Ms. Dubose angers them and I guess Jem just couldn’t handle it anymore. I guess she must have insulted me pretty badly because Jem lost his temper and ruined her beautiful garden. I spoke with her and she decided the best punishment would be to have Jem read to her after school everyday for a month. Jem and Scout began spending lots of time at Ms. Dubos’ house, I think the secretly like it.
           
      Ms. Dubose passed away today. She had Jessie put a beautiful Camellia in a candy box for Jem. I think it represented that it is very hard to destroy something, even delicate flowers. This whole experience with Ms. Dubose has been a great lesson for the kids, in so many different ways.
                                                               
      I hope they do okay while I’m away for two weeks, I know they will do well with Cal.
           


 

2 comments:

  1. This is very well written, I love how you used the vocabulary in your blog post. I also like how you didn't get off track, you stuck with your theme, and that was how terrible Jem and Scout were being. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you used the vocabulary words in your post. They were well used. Also i really like how you use such descriptive words in your posts. Good Job Noe !

    ReplyDelete