Friday, October 8, 2010

NAME: Noemi Delgado DATE: 10/8 TITLE: Bone TIME: 2 hrs. AUTHOR: Fae Myenne NG PAGES 1-65 TOTAL PAGES THIS WEEK: 65

     The author of this book from the point of view of second generation Chinese American woman named Laila. I can relate to her in some ways because my dad immigrated to the U.S. as a young adult, I get to share another culture  & speak another language. I don't relate to Leila in many ways because my dad speaks English well & he doesn't rely on me to help him in this society unlike her parents. Her Mah & her step dad Leon are constantly needing her help to translate for them & help them with paper work. Leila is always worrying about her parent because they have a hard time getting along in American society.
     Leila is the oldest of three sisters, the youngest Nina moved to New York and Ona committed suicide. Ona is a big part of the book even though she is not present, her death is the caused many of the character's problems. Each family member blames them self except Nina, who blames the family. Nina tries to get away from all the guilt and obligations of the family, while Leila is being tied down by her familial duties. For example, when Leila visits Nina in New York, she convinces her to marry her long time boy friend at City Hall, instead of having a big banquette held by her mother. "Look, you've always been on stand by for them. Waiting and doing things there way," Nina said this because she wants to encourage her sister to do thing for herself instead of always pleasing her parents.
     I think Nina is right in many ways, they have to be their own person & make their own decisions. I also know where Leila is coming from because I wouldn't be able to just leave my parents helpless. If I were Leila I would get married in city hall, but I would also let my mom throw a little family banquette for me. She does need to realize that celebrating her happiness is what makes her Mah happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment